You’ve probably said and probably heard two dozen people say it. “I want to travel more next year” or “after I finish ( insert accomplished task) I’m going to start traveling more.” We used to say the same things. Now we travel whenever we can and I can only think if we knew these tricks sooner we would have started traveling so much more.
1. Don’t be afraid to be a weekend warrior. If your job doesn’t give you any vacation time don’t fret. You only need 1 or 2 days to explore a new location. We’ve traveled to so many locations but by far we travel in the north east the most because it’s our back yard.
2. Treat your vacation time like a paycheck. Don’t spend it all in one place. Extend your weekends multiple times a year. Instead of taking two 1 week trips a year, take five 4 day trips a year.
3. Don’t treat vacations like your favorite meal at a restaurant. Try something new. By saying you want to travel more, you’re saying you want to see new places. Even if it’s 30 minutes from the last place you’ve visited, it’s new!
4. Don’t let a budget hold you back. A trip does not have to have to be something you save up for and get to enjoy months later. There are so many options: camping, campgrounds, home (or better yet condo) rentals, and hostels. If you’ve never stayed in a hostel, you don’t know what you’re missing. We’ve stayed in some amazing hostels for $25 a night.
5. Location, location, location. Flying on a regular basis is not normally an option for most of us. Point being, don’t be afraid to travel around where you live. In 5 hours you can travel to dozens of destinations. We’ve found amazing places we’ve never known about that were only two hours away. There is always a new adventure to be found.
We’ve been following these rules for a few years now and when we look back we can’t believe how many new places we’ve been to. The time to start traveling is now. Happy trails!